When you're 85 years old, you can pretty much get away with saying anything you want. Still, Tony Bennett's remarks on the 9/11 attacks and the Iraq War might ruffle some feathers.
At 85 years and two months, Bennett passes the late George Burns, who was 84-years and two-months-old when "I Wish I Was Eighteen Again" wrapped its chart run the week of March 22, 1980.("I was always taught to respect my elders," Burns once mused. "(But), I've now reached the age when I don't have anybody to respect.")When it comes to the Hot 100 this year, age ain't nothing but a number.
As Billboard director of charts Silvio Pietroluongo notes, since January, the Hot 100 has housed at least one artist who first graced the survey in each decade of its 53-year existence. Upon Bennett's bow, acts that made their Hot 100 arrivals in the '50s, '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, '00s and '10s have appeared on the chart this year.While the bulk of the artists responsible for the 487 titles that have ranked on the Hot 100 in 2011 drew their first chart ink from 1990 on (including Willow Smith, who was born in 2000), a select eight acts have exhibited extraordinary longevity.Here is a look at the eight artists to have placed on the Hot 100 this year that first made the list between the '50s and '80s:
At 85 years and two months, Bennett passes the late George Burns, who was 84-years and two-months-old when "I Wish I Was Eighteen Again" wrapped its chart run the week of March 22, 1980.("I was always taught to respect my elders," Burns once mused. "(But), I've now reached the age when I don't have anybody to respect.")When it comes to the Hot 100 this year, age ain't nothing but a number.
As Billboard director of charts Silvio Pietroluongo notes, since January, the Hot 100 has housed at least one artist who first graced the survey in each decade of its 53-year existence. Upon Bennett's bow, acts that made their Hot 100 arrivals in the '50s, '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, '00s and '10s have appeared on the chart this year.While the bulk of the artists responsible for the 487 titles that have ranked on the Hot 100 in 2011 drew their first chart ink from 1990 on (including Willow Smith, who was born in 2000), a select eight acts have exhibited extraordinary longevity.Here is a look at the eight artists to have placed on the Hot 100 this year that first made the list between the '50s and '80s:

No comments:
Post a Comment